Thursday, March 10, 2011

currently coveting: matcha green tea

My personal obsession with tea has been well documented, but it’s time to let you in on a little secret: while I love all teas equally, I have a penchant one kind in particular, and I love this one above all others.

I’m absolutely obsessed with Matcha, a form of green tea which is ground into an incredibly vibrant green powder. Aside from being packed with antioxidants, Matcha (or green tea powder) packs a punch of other health benefits. But let’s be honest, this is not at all about health—I’m absolutely obsessed with the flavor of Matcha. It’s earthy and slightly floral and completely unique. In the past six months or so, green tea flavored everything has been popping up everywhere, much to my delight!


You’ll often find me sipping on a Green Tea Latte from Starbucks, and sometimes I get really strange looks from fellow friends when I plop down into a comfy chair with a cuppa full of green. But since discovering Green Tea Lattes, I have eschewed almost all other coffee shop drinks. I’m a woman possessed.


Much to my delight, green tea is quickly becoming the flavor du jour at many bakeries, with places like Isobel’s Cupcakes here in Ottawa offering up green tea cupcakes and Asian grocery stores carrying Matcha-infused chocolates (above). It’s seriously like heaven for me!

So local chefs, bakers and confectioners, take note: green tea is the next big thing, folks. And if you add something to your menu with it, you can be sure that I’ll be there to snatch up every last bit of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment